Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Christmas Decor

Kimba over at A Soft Place to Land is hosting a Christmas Open House. Since many family and friends, including our parents, will not be able to see our house this Christmas season, I decided to take a few pictures of our holiday decor to share and join party!

Since we have only lived in the house a few months now, and before that had such little space to decorate we, I mean I, had to be careful not to go crazy buying decor. We tried to use what we had, and things I had picked up at the end of the year last year on clearance after the holidays. We did purchase a few more garlands, and the Christmas tree. Other than that...I tried to be creative.
I fell in love with this wreath at Target right before Thanksgiving. Then after Thanksgiving, I saw it for 75% off. I couldn't pass it up. It was all green, and I added some red and gold berries to give it a bit of Christmas cheer.
Had I been feeling really adventurous, I might have went outside to take a picture of our front door, but it's just too cold. We have lighted garland wrapped around our columns and draped over our arched doorway. I love how it turned out. Perhaps I will find a little more to add to it for Christmas next year after the holidays are over.
Downstairs in the living room is where most of the decorating took place. Our tree practically hits the ceiling, but we found a great deal, and couldn't pass it up.
I had a few basic green garlands from year's past, and I wrapped them together and draped them over the mantel. Then added a red berry garland, followed by a few pine cones, and gold berries, and VOILA!! My first homemade garland! I was very excited how it turned out.

Garland is wrapped, twisted, and tied around our railings. I love how it turned out...but I don't think this picture quite shows it.
I had started with basic garland and added gold and red berry picks throughout the garland. Then for another touch of color and softness, small bows tied periodically.

Golden, wire Christmas trees I found last year on clearance for a ridiculously low price, as well as a beautiful, red, glass bowl.
I filled the bowl with ornaments, berries, and pine cones.

So there you have it! We have a few more things here and there around the house...but these are the highlights. Perhaps next year I'll have more to share.

10 comments:

Other Mother said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Other Mother said...

Thanks for the tour. It's lovely! Maybe we can come down sometime during the school break. We have 17 days off, counting weekends!

Dani said...

I love it! I think my favorite picture is the one of your tree and mantel. I love the bowl of ornaments too though...

Celestial Charms said...

Such lovely decorations. Thanks for posting them.

Kim @ Forever Wherever said...

Everything looks beautiful! The snow makes it look so nice, but I know it's cold. Stay warm!

Fiona said...

I love the photo of your doorway with the snow in the background, and the garland - lovely!

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

There are so many things to love about your home! Your tree is absolutely gorgeous! Thank you so much for teh tour. Merry Christmas!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

I love your wreath!

Mama Dog said...

I am in love with that wreath! I never saw one at my Target...and trust me I'm there all the time! I think your gold and red berries really make it though! Glad to find your blog!

Divamom said...

Your decorations are very pretty! I love the wreath and the bowl with the ornaments. I might borrow that idea from you next year! Great Job!

Be Blessed!
~Chondra