Wednesday, August 12, 2009

DIY/frugal light fixture

Since the moment we looked at our house...I did NOT like this light fixture. I am just not much of a shiny brass fan. But, due to other pressing expenses and has existed the first year in our home, despite our dislike of it.

Here is a closer look...FABULOUS, isn't it?

Well, it has now been replaced with this find...50 cents at a garage sale last weekend! Yipee! Maybe not exactly what I would have picked out...but at least close enough to fork over the 50 cents. Much better!!

Wednesday, August 05, 2009

DIY Baby Nursery

My daughter is now 6 months would think I would have had her nursery completed months before her arrival, but no. I just now am getting it where I am starting to love it! It isn't perfect, but I am loving it! It is full of DIY projects and cheap finds...some done by me, some by my mother, and some by my darling hubby.

PROJECT #1: The bedding. My mother and I spent several hours in a fabric store picking a choosing just the right combination of fabrics. We ended up with a total of six different fabrics. I love how it turned out!! Thanks again mom for your many hours spend sewing.

PROJECT #2: Isn't it a requirement that babies have their name on their wall somewhere? I picked up wood letters and boards from Hobby Lobby and started painting...the close up shows the design behind the letters.

PROJECT #3: Above the crib needed a little something...How about some canvases with the edges spray painted and some fun scrapbook paper? Easy and cheap!

PROJECT #4: I don't have a great picture of this...but I picked up four of these butterflies at a garage sale for a quarter!! They were an awful blue color...a little spray paint, and now Charlotte has butterflies flying up from her bookcase over her closet.

PROJECT #5: Not really a project, but rather a cheap find from a garage sale. "Love" sign for 75 cents! Yeah! I could have spray painted it so it would match perfectly...but it looked great how it why mess with it? It hangs over her closet.

PROJECT #6: Cheap bookcase found at Goodwill...painted it...I will eventually repaint it to match the room better. It is lacking in any excitement, but functional none the less...and very much needed!
PROJECT #7: My last and FAVORITE project. I found this...wall border for 25 cents at Salvation Army, which caught my eye because it matched perfectly. I knew I would find a purpose for it.
My hubby made a wood valance for me. I painted the edges with left over wall paint, then used spray adhesive to attach the border. I LUUUUUUVVVV IT!! I am still debating if I want to add any type of sheers or anything to the edges of it. I'd be happy to hear if anyone has an opinion on the idea.

Head over to Kimba's for more DIY projects!